Without doubt, the main strength of the AONB Family lies in its collective voice. It is the role of the National Association for AONBs (NAAONB) to help strengthen that voice, clarify its messages and ensure that it is heard in the right places at the right time with the right effect.
The NAAONB leads on national advocacy work, influencing decision makers and providing national leadership, assistance and support.
We do this by
- Seeking regular meetings with Ministers and other senior Government figures as and when sufficiently important matters affecting AONBs arise
- Providing briefing and support to the AONB Family on issues that are of national importance
- Supporting the All Party Parliamentary Group on AONBs
- Coordinating the wide range of expertise within the AONB Family to prepare responses to Government consultations which are relevant to AONBs
- Building and maintaining alliances with other organisations sharing interests in protected landscapes
- Maintaining a close and supportive working relationship with Local Authorities, the LGA and WLGA
- Collating high level feedback on AONB partnership performance monitoring for Defra
- Exploring mechanisms for closer working with NPAs to increase effectiveness and improve environmental outcomes
- Disseminating advice on the discharge of duty to have regard to the AONB purpose
- Providing technical support to government agencies as and when required
- Actively engaging in policy making processes and decisions at international, national and regional levels
- Continuing to support Natural England in the development and future implementation of the protected landscape environmental outcome monitoring framework
- Working with Natural England and Defra on the development of a vision and strategic framework for AONBs and the wider protected landscape family.
By undertaking the above we are working to ensure AONBs remain Landscapes for Life.
The NAAONB produces a regular e-news, “NAAONB Update”, which gives regular information about our activities. If you would like to receive NAAONB Update please contact our Communications and Development Manager.